Top 10 Most Inspiring Reads from Healthcare Case Managers

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012
This post was written by Cheryl Miller

Shopping for that busy case manager in your life this holiday season? Then look no further than this top 10 list of their favorite, most inspiring books.

While most of them admitted that they didn’t have time to read, or if they did, they were spending it reading professional journals like CMSA Today, or their kids’ college essays, we got them to ‘fess up to their favorites. Here’s their list, ranging from the wildly popular Hunger Games trilogy to an old but not forgotten classic by Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities.

Stacey B. Hodgman, MS, RN-BC, CCDS, CPUM, Senior Director of Case Management for Kindred Healthcare, Board of Directors for the Case Management Society of New England
I am currently reading Transforming Ourselves and the Relationships that Matter Most by Lisa Oz, wife of Dr. Mehmet Oz. I enjoy self-help books and always look for ways to better understand human behavior and relationships. As a case manager, it is imperative that we understand human behavior and how we can help influence patients to make lifestyle changes that they want to make while promoting optimal health. Relationships define us both personally and professionally and understanding how to make the best of each one can only lead to a happier, more fulfilling life.

Victoria Powell, RN, CCM, LNCC, CNLCP, CLCP, MSCC, CEAS II, Founder and President of VP Medical Consulting, LLC.
I usually read nonfiction, but new movie releases got me started on a few fiction pieces recently. I completed The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins and also The Help by Kathryn Stockett. As for my non-fiction I have just finished Dave Ramsey’s EntreLeadership. All were excellent and I give them five stars each.

Miriam Weiss, MSN, RN, CCM, Care Manager at Amerigroup Corporation, Care Manager Consultant, Per Diem, at CareManagers Inc.
Books by Danielle Steele, John Grisham, James Patterson, or Lisa Scottoline.

Hillary Calderon, RN, Senior Manager of Corporate Case Management for HCA
Last book I read was The Help. I am last at reading the trends. I am in the process of reading The Hunger Games.

Linda Van Dillen, RN, BA, CCM, Executive VP/Partner of S&H Medical Management Services, Inc.
I recently read The Hunger Games trilogy and saw movie number one. It was very interesting on so many levels. It made me think of how you can use power for good or for evil, and even when you are supposedly the “good guy” your actions can be used to either truly help others or to just promote your viewpoint.

Helen Schreiber RN, BS, CCM, Executive Vice President of S&H Medical Management Services, Inc.
The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey is a great book. It helps people learn to live debt-free and have more control of their lives.

Kerry Stutzman, RN, MS, CCM, Care/Case Manager
The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness. At the Lemberg Concentration Camp in 1943, Simon Wiesenthal (author) is summoned to the bedside of the dying Nazi soldier Karl Seidl. The soldier tells him he is seeking “a Jew’s” (Wiesenthal’s) forgiveness for a crime that has haunted him (Seidl) his entire life. The man confesses to having destroyed, by fire and armaments, a house full of 300 Jews. He states that as the Jews tried to leap out of windows to escape the burning building, he gunned them down. After Seidl finishes his story, he asks Wiesenthal to forgive him. Weisenthal records his and other’s responses and poses the dilemma to the reader.

Teresa M. Treiger, RN-BC, MA, CHCQM-CM, CCM, Founder of Ascent Care Management, LLC
It’s a classic but it remains my favorite book of all times, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I can’t tell you how many times I have read it since high school.

JoAnne Vanett, BSN, MA, CCM, CEN, Specialty Case Manager in Readmissions Risk Reductions for Aetna
I would recommend the book we used for my foundation program at Penn, Jon Kabat-Zinn’s Full Catastrophe Living. We do not recognize how great a role stress plays in our lives and that we have the opportunity to take the time to appreciate each moment while it lasts. No one ever knows what the future holds so it is most important to be aware of the present moment.

Linda Conroy, RN, BSN, Clinical Integration Case Manager for Hartford Physician Hospital Organization (HPHO)
Still Alice, by Lisa Genova.

Tags: , ,