Kaiser Permanente ranked number one in 13 out of 43 effectiveness of care measures, according to the 2013 NCQA Quality Compass® data.
Out of nearly 500 commercial health plans in the nation, no other health plan received more than five number one rankings, according to Kaiser officials. The company received top marks for the following:
- Breast cancer screening
- Cervical cancer screening
- Controlling high blood pressure
- Comprehensive diabetes care — blood pressure control (<140/80)
- Comprehensive diabetes care — blood pressure control (<140/90)
- Comprehensive diabetes care — medical attention for nephropathy
- Comprehensive diabetes care — eye exams
- Use of spirometry testing in assessment and diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Chlamydia screening in women (ages 16-20, 21-24 and total)
- Counseling for nutrition for children
- Counseling for physical activity for children
- Weight assessment for children — body mass index percentile
- Adult body mass index assessment
The Quality Compass data assesses the performance of national health plans on many important clinical and service standards. This is the fifth consecutive year Kaiser Permanente has had the most number one rankings.
To further its commitment to fighting cancer, Kaiser Permanente recently launched a new cancer care Web site, available in both English and Spanish. The site highlights the organization’s unique approach to overcoming cancer through earlier detection, excellent personalized care delivered with compassion, leading-edge research and technology, and lifestyle coaching.
This recognition by NCQA is the latest in a recent string of national accolades Kaiser Permanente has received. In mid-September, the NCQA ranked five Kaiser Permanente health plans — with a total membership of more than 8.2 million — as the five top Medicare plans in the country.
Source: Kaiser Permanente, October 7, 2013
Formula for CMS Five-Star Quality Population Health Management examines star quality improvement strategies, including Kaiser Permanente’s successful care management efforts that have made this “star czar” a leader in the five-star space.