Geisinger Medical Center, Bon Secours Health Systems and Baptist Medical Center are among the top 100 hospitals in the country for organizational performance, according to Thomson Reuters’ annual 100 Top Hospitals® study.
The study evaluates performance in 10 areas: mortality; medical complications; patient safety; average patient stay; expenses; profitability; patient satisfaction; adherence to clinical standards of care; post-discharge mortality; and readmission rates for acute myocardial infarction (heart attack), heart failure, and pneumonia. It has been conducted annually since 1993. This is the fourth year that Everest award winners were named: those hospitals that delivered the greatest rate of improvement over five years. This year, there were 12 winners.
Researchers evaluated 2,886 short-term, acute-care, non-federal hospitals, using public information, including Medicare cost reports, Medicare provider analysis and review (MedPAR) data, and core measures and patient satisfaction data from the CMS Hospital Compare Web site. Hospitals were categorized according to size and type.
Researchers estimate that if all Medicare inpatients received the same level of care as those treated in the award-winning facilities:
- More than 186,000 additional lives could be saved.
- Approximately 56,000 additional patients could be complication-free.
- More than $4.3 billion could be saved.
- The average patient stay would decrease by nearly half a day.
Among the winning hospitals are the following:
Major Teaching Hospitals
- Baystate Medical Center — Springfield, MA
- St. Joseph Mercy Hospital — Ann Arbor, MI
- Geisinger Medical Center — Danville, PA
- Scripps Green Hospital — La Jolla, CA
- St. Luke’s Hospital — Cedar Rapids, IA
- Baptist St. Anthony’s Health System — Amarillo, TX
Large Community Hospitals
- Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center — Torrance, CA
- Martin Health System — Stuart, FL
- Kendall Regional Medical Center — Miami, FL
Medium Community Hospitals
- Baptist Medical Center East — Montgomery, AL
- Garden Grove Hospital Medical Center — Garden Grove, CA
- Saint Joseph Hospital — Bangor, ME
Small Community Hospitals
- Sutter Davis Hospital — Davis, CA
- Gulf Breeze Hospital — Gulf Breeze, FL
- Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center — Plymouth, IN
Among the 12 Everest winners are the following:
- UC San Diego Medical Center — Hillcrest — San Diego, CA
- Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital — Richmond, VA
- Banner Boswell Medical Center — Sun City, AZ
- Clara Maass Medical Center — Belleville, NJ
- French Hospital Medical Center — San Luis Obispo, CA
- Doctors Hospital of Sarasota — Sarasota, Fl
Source: Thomson Reuters, April 16, 2012
For organizations considering participation in the 2011 CMS Bundled Payments initiative, Case Study in Bundled Payments: The Baptist Health System Experience is essential reading before filing letters of intent and applications for CMS’s new bundled payment program.